Bits & Bobs:
- 08 June 2021 - New Article: "Investing in a Better Future: Higher Education and Post-COVID Canada" in the journal FACETS, 6.
- 24 March 2021 - Named a delegate for the Canadian Science Policy Centre's "Science Meets Parliament".
- 15 December 2020 - Forthcoming lecture as part of the Indigenous Scholars Speaker Series - Morality and Indigenous Consciousness: The Importance of Archetypes
- 14 September 2020 - New book in which I've a chapter Educational Administration and Leadership Identity Formation from Routledge Press.
- 04 September 2020 - New book in which I've a chapter Beyond the Academic Gateway: Looking Back on the Tenure-Track Journey.
- 08 June 2020: New - The Language of Citizenship: Indigenous Perspectives of Nationhood in Canada in The Palgrave Handbook of Citizenship and Education.
- 08 June 2020: Reposting The Moral Landscape of Indigenous Knowledge in Learning: Initial Thoughts for Primary and Secondary Education in the Encyclopedia of Educational Philosophy and Theory.
Older news, including links to academic articles, may be found in the "Scholarship" tab above under the heading "Scholarship & Media".
Welcome to my website. My name is Frank Deer. I am an Associate professor, Canada Research Chair at the University of Manitoba's Faculty of Education, and member of the Royal Society of Canada. I earned a PhD in Educational Administration from the University of Saskatchewan in 2008 after obtaining a B.Ed and M.Ed from the University of Manitoba in 1999 and 2003 respectively. I have previously served as a classroom teacher in the Frontier School Division and the Winnipeg School Division.
My doctoral dissertation on citizenship education may be found here.
My Scholarly Interests:
- Indigenous Education
- Philosophy of Education
- Indigenous Language Education
- Identity Studies
Last Updated: Rarironhia’kehronnon:ke, 08 Ohiarí:ha 2021
With my lovely wife Dionne at the 2019 Royal Society of Canada Gala
Group photo of presenters at SSHRC/Federation "Imagining Canada's Future" gathering - Ottawa; November 2015
Attended the "Building Reconciliation Forum" hosted at the University of Alberta in September 2016. From left to right: Ry Moran (Director of the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation), Wab Kinew (MLA for Fort Rouge), your's truly, and Kevin Lamoureux (Associate Vice-President Indigenous Affaires, University of Winnipeg).