Bits & Bobs:
- 08 June 2020: New - The Language of Citizenship: Indigenous Perspectives of Nationhood in Canada in The Palgrave Handbook of Citizenship and Education.
- 08 June 2020: Reposting The Moral Landscape of Indigenous Knowledge in Learning: Initial Thoughts for Primary and Secondary Education in the Encyclopedia of Educational Philosophy and Theory.
- 15 December 2019: Youtube video of my presentation to Finland's University of the Arctic as part of the International Year of Indigenous Languages of last year's research study.
- 02 December 2019: Presenting at the 2019 Oxford Education Research Symposium at University of Oxford on 06 December.
- 13 September 2019: New chapter in Tomlins-Jahnke, Styres, Lilley & Zinga Indigenous Education: New Directions in Theory and Practice.
- 10 September 2019: New member of the Royal Society of Canada.
- 30 May 2019: Article on ancestral languages in The Conversation.
- 04 March 2019: SSHRC CRC Story on Indigenous Language Education
- 19 November 2018: Preliminary Programme of the Oxford Education Research Symposium in Oxford, UK.
Older news, including links to academic articles, may be found in the "Scholarship" tab above under the heading "Scholarship & Media".
Welcome to my website. My name is Frank Deer. I am an Associate professor, Canada Research Chair at the University of Manitoba's Faculty of Education, and member of the Royal Society of Canada. I earned a PhD in Educational Administration from the University of Saskatchewan in 2008 after obtaining a B.Ed and M.Ed from the University of Manitoba in 1999 and 2003 respectively. I have previously served as a classroom teacher in the Frontier School Division and the Winnipeg School Division.
My doctoral dissertation on citizenship education may be found here.
My Scholarly Interests:
- Indigenous Education
- Philosophy of Education
- Indigenous Language Education
- Identity Studies
Last Updated: Awentataaon’ke, 08 Ohiarí:ha 2020
With my lovely wife Dionne at the 2019 Gala of the Royal Society of Canada. I was inducted as a member the previous day!
Group photo of presenters at SSHRC/Federation "Imagining Canada's Future" gathering - Ottawa; November 2015
Attended the "Building Reconciliation Forum" hosted at the University of Alberta in September 2016. From left to right: Ry Moran (Director of the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation), Wab Kinew (MLA for Fort Rouge), your's truly, and Kevin Lamoureux (Associate Vice-President Indigenous Affaires, University of Winnipeg).