Bits & Bobs:
- 05 December 2022: The Conversation: Indigenous Spiritual Teaching in Schools.
- 02 July 2022: Chapter in Sandra Styres and Arlo Kemph's edited volume titled: Discovering Truth in the Post-TRC Era: Morality and Spirituality Discourses in the Reconciliatory Journey of Schools.
- 28 January 2022: Developed our Faculty of Education Reconciliation Action Plan!
- 08 November 2021: The Conversation: Remembrance Day - Flag-Raising Discussions in Canada Pose Questions About Residential Schools and What We Remember.
- 28 July 2021: Recipient of the University of Manitoba Merit Award for 2020.
- 28 July 2021: Reposting The Moral Landscape of Indigenous Knowledge in Learning: Initial Thoughts for Primary and Secondary Education in the Encyclopedia of Educational Philosophy and Theory.
Older news, including links to academic articles, may be found in the "Scholarship" tab above under the heading "Scholarship & Media".
Welcome to my website. My name is Frank Deer. I am a Professor, Associate Dean (Indigenous Education), and Canada Research Chair at the University of Manitoba's Faculty of Education. I am also (as of November 2022) College President of the Royal Society of Canada.
I earned a PhD in Educational Administration from the University of Saskatchewan in 2008 after obtaining a B.Ed and M.Ed from the University of Manitoba in 1999 and 2003 respectively. I have previously served as a classroom teacher in the Frontier School Division and the Winnipeg School Division.
My doctoral dissertation on citizenship education may be found here.
My Scholarly Interests:
- Indigenous Education
- Philosophy of Education
- Indigenous Language Education
- Identity Studies
Last Updated: Awentataaon’ke, 05 Tsothóhrha 2022
Members of RSC College Council at the COEE 2022 Gala in Calgary. From left to right: Isabelle Archambault, Frank Deer, Karly Kehoe, & Patrick Leroux.
I had the pleasure of helping to induct new members into the Royal Society College! 25 November 2022,