Since April of 2016, I have been serving the University of Manitoba in the role of Acting Executive Lead, Indigenous Achievement. Whilst serving in this capacity, I've maintained some connection to the Faculty of Education. I will complete my term as Acting Executive Lead at the end of June 2017, after which I will return to the Faculty as a regular faculty member.
In my time as a professor, I've taught the following courses:
- EDUB 3402 Aboriginal Perspectives and the Curriculum
- EDUB 2500 Themes in Senior Years Education
- EDUB 5220 The Aboriginal Experience and Canada: History and Issues
- EDUB 5230 Aboriginal Perspectives in Language and Literacy
- EDUB 7270 Culture, Citizenship and Curriculum
- EDUC 7370 Seminar in Education for Sustainability and Well-Being
- EDUB 7350 Topics in Indigenous Education: Treaty Rights and Government Policy
I continue to carry out a program of research that focuses on the localization of perspectives in Manitoba schools. Specifically, I have begun to research community sustainability of indigenous languages - work that is funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. I am also an active member of the Education for Sustainable Well-Being Research Group - in which I have been involved in a variety of research activities. My scholarly work is supported by my participation in the Manitoba Education Research Network's indigenous education working group. I am currently past-president of the Canadian Association for Studies in Indigenous Education - an association within the Canadian Society for Studies in Education.
Scholarship & Media:
- 11 March 2018: Cross Country Check-Up - On Location at Glenlawn Collegiate
- 07 February 2018: New Canada Research Chairs at the UofM
- 19 January 2018: Fireside Chat series - "Talks on Indigenous Knowledges"
- 18 January 2018: Forthcoming announcement of new Canada Research Chairs ;)
- 06 October 2017: Contribution to Principal Connections magazine - Indigenous Perspectives on Student Well-Being
- 01 June 2017: New book by University of Ottawa Press "The Academic Gateway" in which I have a chapter.- Lecturing as part of St. Paul's College's Conversation Series on 18 January 2017.
- Lecturing in the Fireside Chats series: 31 January 2017
- Presenting with my colleagues for Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada's Research at Lunch Discussion - 11 January 2017.
- Featured in the Canadian Society for the Study of Education autumn newsletter.
- Took part in the Louis Riel School Division PD panel Why In Our Schools?
- New book with Thomas Falkenberg: Indigenous Perspectives on Education for Well-Being in Canada - Available through ESWB Press
- Participating in a panel for the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce on Business and Reconciliation on 21 November 2016 at the Canadian Museum for Human Rights
- New Scholar in Residence for the Louis Riel School Division.
- Part of the 2016 National Vice-Presidents Academic Council (NATVAC) event hosted by Concordia University
- Forthcoming book containing my contribution on the tenure process. The Academic Gateway: Understanding the Journey to Tenure by Timothy Sibbald & Victoria Handford
- Lecture at the University of British Columbia on how reconciliation may be embraced by graduate research and programming.
- UM Today: New Funds Dedicated to Support Indigenous Initiatives and to Recruit Indigenous Scholars
- Guest Editor for In Education's new special issues on Indigenous education
- Website on the TRC Symposium Series - contains recordings and photos of plenary events.
- Acting Executive Lead, Indigenous Achievement, University of Manitoba
- Article by Joan Suzuki on the TRC Symposium Series events of 22 & 23 March.
- Article about the provincial election forum at which I was a speaker on 10 March 2016
- Appeared on APTN's InFocus to discuss the Provincial Election Forum on Indigenous Education.
- Appeared on CTV Morning Live to discuss our Symposium Series on the TRC Calls to Action
- UM Today story: Re-Visioning Teacher Education: Responding to the TRC Calls-to-Action
- Lecturing at the Election Forum on Indigenous Education on 10 March 2016.
- Presenting as part of the University of Manitoba Native Studies Colloquium Series on 16 March 2016.
- Interviewed by Canadian Press for the piece "Aboriginal High School Graduation Rate at Record High in BC" for numerous news outlets.
- New Chapter in Handbook of Canadian Research in Initial Teacher Education edited by Thomas Falkenberg.
- SSHRC Project: Canadian Post-Secondary Education and Aboriginal Peoples of Canada - Final Report
- UM Today: U of Arctic Network working to ‘enhance teacher education’ in the Arctic region, says visiting scholar
- "Fireside Chat" at Migizii Agamik: 03 November at 1130
- UofM's Post-Baccalaureate Programme in Indigenous Education
- UM Today: SSHRC Knowledge Synthesis Grant story
- New article through the Manitoba Educational Research Network - June 2015
- Congress 2015 @ UOttawa: CASIE facilitating Panel on Indigenous Education (30 May) and CSSE Keynote (31 May)
- New article in the journal Antistasis (Volume 5, No. 1) on indigenous rights
- Received SSHRC Knowledge Synthesis Grant for "Canadian Post-Secondary Education and Aboriginal Peoples of Canada"
- Featured in Teaching Life (Spring 2015)
- Named to the University of Manitoba Indigenous Advisory Circle
- MERN profile in Education Manitoba Newsletter
- Editorial in the Winnipeg Free Press (19 February 2015)
- Featured in The Eastern Door (Volume 23, No. 48)
- New edited volume: Sustainable Well-Being: Concepts, Issues, and Educational Practices
- Director of Indigenous Initiatives for the Faculty of Education, University of Manitoba
- Received SSHRC Grant for the study "First Nations Languages: A Comparative Study in Culturally Relevant Sustainability"
- Featured in the Winnipeg Free Press "Training Basket" Column
- President of the Canadian Association for the Study of Indigenous Education (CASIE)
- New article in InEducation, 19(3)
- 10 Questions for a Visionary
- Chapter in Approaches to Aboriginal Education in Canada edited by Frances Widdowson & Albert Howard
- Reviews for CM Magazine: Reel Injun, Vistas: Aboriginal Expressions, & Environmentalists from our First Nations
- Chapter in The Doctoral Journey: Perseverance edited by Thomas Ryan
- Canadian Journal of Education 36(2)
- The Frank and Kevin Show: In Colour!
- Editor of First Nations Perspectives
- Member of the Education for Sustainable Well-Being Research Group
- Article: In Education 17(3)
- Article in Canadian and International Education, 38(2)
- The Bulletin, 10 June 2010 (Page 11)
- Article in the Canadian Journal of Educational Administration and Policy